Download my FREE PDF pattern here!
CestLaSara – Blood Elf Tyrande Bow
In my patterns, the black lines represent cut lines. In some more detailed patterns I draw, some black lines are major bevel edges. Red lines are for details and bevel edges.
- Heat Shrink Tubes
- 2mm Craft Foam Roll
- EVA Foam Mats
- About 5-6′ of PVC pipe (would recommend cutting it shorter as needed)
- Blue reflective tape
- Aqua EL Wire
- Leather strip for handle
- Epoxy Glue
- Airbrush paint of your choice
- Acrylic paint of your choice
- Duplicolor primer
- Mod Podge sealer
The base is made of PVC pipe with EVA foam mats inside, and each component of the bow was made with 2mm craft foam covered with 1 side of worbla.
About 80% of the bow was made entirely out of scrap material leftover from last year’s Pally Challenge mode costume scraps. Each feather was individually cut and wrapped with worbla scrap.
The feathers were made into 4 panels and then epoxy glue’d over the EVA foam mat base inside. This made the bow extremely stable and withstood punch force. The only drawback is that the bow became VERY heavy to handle thanks to the amount of epoxy glue used (~$50 worth of epoxy adhesives) and worbla.
The eagle heads were the only ones not made of scraps as they required a slightly larger sheet size.
The bow was then primed with Gesso layers and Duplicolor 2-in-1 primer (i found that this was my favorite brand). The bow was then spraypainted gold for the base color. I didn’t like the spray paint gold color as it looks pretty “stale” regardless of brand so I used a more yellow hue pearl color from Createx for airbrush paint on top of the base one. The brown accents were airbrushed as well with Createx Burnt Umber color. When I was happy with the paint job, the bow was sealed with layers of Mod Podge (the paint version, not the spray version).
After completing the build, I wrapped leather trim around the handle and covered it with saran wrap and painter’s tape. This would protect the leather from paint residue.
The eyes are made with a 2- blue LEDs series circuit with a switch / battery compartment that holds 2×2032 3V coin cell batteries. The eyes were then carefully hotglued in place to create that “marble” look, which helped both diffuse and hold the LEDs in place. The wires were all hidden inside black socks and shoved inside the eagle heads.
Tyrande’s bow accents look aqua in her reference picture, so when someone takes a flash picture of me that effect is achieved with the blue reflective tape. Sometimes using reflective tape gives off a better look as opposed to LEDs when people take flash pictures of you. Without flash, the glow of her bow is achieved with EL wire as you can see in the outline on the top. Alternatively you can use aqua EL sheets (which was my original plan) but you will need to spend approx. 4x as much in monetary costs to pay for those EL sheets.
I found that this was VERY useful when transporting my costume parts up to the hotel room in one trip! It’s a garment rack from Amazon!
Here’s a video of me testing it in action!